Thursday, March 25, 2010

Market Research: Don't quit your day job

Yes, (some of) the ads are true , you can make some additional money taking market research surveys online --but it's probably going to take you some time to get there, and it's not likely you'll earn a lot of extra cash doing it.

I've been filling out surveys for Global Test Market for about a year now. --The good news is that I've never been charged or had my email sold by them to third parties. The bad news is I still haven't managed to clear 1000 market points, which is the minimum to claim any pay-outs.

Currently, I'm sitting at 895 points, just a few surveys shy of that first check. In all frankness though, it's most likely my own laziness that's standing between me and that first check. Lately I've gotten rather frustrated at the number of surveys I do not qualify for, and in the past couple of months, have allowed them to pile up in my e-mail.

Two of my immediate family members work in health care so I'm screened out of a number of surveys about health care systems and pharmaceuticals due to conflicts of interest. I'm sure it doesn't help that my socioeconomic background is common one, and I'd imagine that Global Test Market has their quota of people-doing-this-for-the-beer-money filled pretty quickly. So while my own apathy towards staying on top of my market research participation is likely my biggest obstacle between me and that first $50.00, I don't know that I'd have that check all that much sooner if I was regularly participating.

Still, I intend to retain my membership and keep at it. It's not costing me anything and $ 50.00 buys a lot of cake mix. Or some decent bourbon. You can read a much better article about Global Test Market here.

No comments:

Post a Comment