Friday, April 23, 2010

FOOD FUN FRIDAY: I didn't know eggs could go in the microwave

Ladies and gentlemen, I have a rather bad habit. For months now I've justified it to myself, rationalizing that sometimes, I just need to do it here and there in the mornings to get through my working week... Ladies and gentlemen, the truth is I love to go out for breakfast, especially on a work day.

Eating a fluffy egg and cheese sandwich on an even fluffier croissant from my favorite cafe really perks up my Mondays through Fridays, especially on weeks where the days are crawling by because my morning bagel just didn't satisfy. Let me tell you though, I have no intention to quit the cafe habit cold turkey. It's important to allow oneself little luxuries here and there (so long as they're little luxuries you're not racking up credit card debits and overdraft fees for), otherwise you feel like as though you're constantly denying yourself which is a)counter productive to savings because you may be more likely to splurge on something you don't really want and b)no freakin' fun.

However, in the past few weeks I've started to feel like this habit has been getting out of hand. So, I thought I would curb this three day a week expense by finding a cheaper alternative that was at least almost as satisfying. --And I think I found it in the microwaved mini-omelet!

Materials:

-Eggs
-Greasing agent (butter, smart balance, butter-like spread of your choice)
-Microwave safe container
-Fork
-Omelet fixin's (cheese, vegetables, salsa, herbs etc)
-Microwave (le duh)
-Seasonings

(1) Get the eggs into the office/restaurant/where-ever-you-may-work

This may be the trickiest part of the entire exercise. I managed to get mine downtown by wrapping them in a clean dishtowel, and placing the towel-wrapped eggs in a close-fitting, sturdy, glass Tupperware container. Two out of two eggs survived a hilly bus ride and the two block stroll to the office.

(2) When it's time for breakfast, (or whenever you like your eggs) get your eggs out and lightly grease the bottom of your microwave-safe container

DSCN0553

I recommend using whatever fat or greasing agent you use to cook your eggs at home. I typically would use a little bit of butter. I forgot to bring some though, and found none in the work-kitchen fridge. In the end, I used a smidge of cream cheese; it worked out.

(3) Crack eggs into container, whisk or scramble with a fork

DSCN0555

You'll get fluffier eggs if you whisk them a bit more and whisk them so that you get a lot of air in there.

(4) Add your omelet fixin's!

All I managed to scrounge out of our fridge at home this morning was a bit of shredded cheese and some hot sauce. It's enough really, but I bet this would have been even better with some sliced mushrooms, spring onions and diced tomato.

(5) Whisk everything together a little more

Or really you can probably just gently swirl the container around to get your fixin's mixed in a little more.

(6) Put your container with the "raw omelet" in a microwave and microwave on high for ninety seconds for an egg and a half

DSCN0556

If using more eggs than that in your mini-omelet, consider these guidelines (located at the bottom of the page) for cooking times.

When eggs are finished, check and make sure that the bottom isn't runny. If it is, the eggs aren't done yet, so microwave 'em a bit more.

(7) When eggs are thoroughly cooked, remove from microwave and season to your taste with salt, pepper, ketchup, Tabasco or anything else you like on your eggs!

I personally like a little bit of salsa and some hot sauce.

(8) Eat some breakfast!

DSCN0562
Fluffier than I thought they would be!

Other ideas:

-To make a lower fat version of this recipe, eliminate some or all of the egg yolks by separating the eggs and use only the whites.

-For added richness, whisk in a little milk or cream to the egg mixture before microwaving.

-Use your microwaved egg-scramble to top a toasted bagel or English muffin for a fairly-satisfying-sandwich-experience.



All in all, my microwaved omelet was a little overdone, but it was far from the horror it could have been. I think with a little practice, and some actual vegetables, this could be almost as satisfying as souffle-d eggs on a croissant, with pepper jack and avocado. Almost anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment